Sunday, May 1, 2011

1 de Mayo 2011

May 1st has finally rolled around again, and here in Montevideo, its completely dead. Everything is closed for Labor Day - or as they call it here, el dia del trabajador. Thus, I know today will be a fairly lazy day of not doing too much, which is good cause outside its completely miserable - raining fairly heavy and the wind is blowing like crazy rattling the windows and shades.

Last night we headed out on the town for my birthday. We made our way to a few places, but kept moving until we landed at a bar named Burlesque. It had a nice atmosphere very reminiscent of the states, and for once, a great beer menu - which, as I have found, is a difficult thing to find in Latin American countries.


The crowd was fairly young like ourselves, and everyone was dressed up to head out on a saturday night.


Meli, Mari and I ordered some good food. This is the first Mexican food I have seen here in Uruguay. I ordered Enchiladas while the girls ordered Chivitos - a very very very typical Uruguayan sandwhich.


For the first time in many many months, I got to order a few non traditional South American beers. I had two half liters from a company named Otro Mundo based out of Argentina. I started with a Nut Brown Ale and finished with a Strong Red Ale. They were 120 pesos each ($6 USD) and were well worth the extra cash because they helped lift me out of the Budweiser type beer fog that predominates the area. I cant wait to return and try out a few more beers.

I didnt notice, but Mariana pointed out the fact that they used a pint glass as well. A pint glass is so normal to me I didnt quite notice, but here in Uruguay they dont use pint glasses like we do in the states. The typical beer glass here is a thick clear mug with a heavy handle.


The pint glass, the imported beer, and the atmosphere within the bar all helped lend a hand to remind me of good times. I love finding the similarities and dissimilaties between here and the states, and I love finding places like Burlesque that help blur the line. We had a good time and I appreciate Meli and Mari taking time to take me out and show me another slice of their city and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment