Thursday, June 2, 2011

Seattle Sounders and Uruguay

Back in early may, after returning back home from Buenos Aires, I recieved a package from my mother in the states for my birthday. Although Mari took the liberty of opening it for me, inside I found my gift - a jersey for the Seattle Sounders. I promised my mom, long ago, I would take a picture and send it to her. I am a bit overdue, but........ I did it.


For those of you who dont follow the Sounders too closely, there is a Uruguayan that plays on the team named Alvaro Fernandez, or as he is referred to here - Flaco Fernandez.

Its funny, while here in Uruguay I get asked all the time where I am from. I always answer - The United States (Los Estados Unidos) and then refer to my hometown as Seattle. I would say the majority of people do not know Seattle, and dont recognize the name of the city when I say it. But I have found that after this exchange, if I follow with a reference to Flaco Fernandez, the name Seattle suddenly takes meaning as nearly all Uruguayans know Flaco Fernandez and that he plays for the Sounders in Seattle.

In past blogs, I have referenced the fact that I am a Nacional fan here in Montevideo. Flaco Fernandez played for Nacional for 2008 and 2009, before heading to Seattle in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment