Saturday, June 4, 2011

Montevideo to Peru

Well, I made it to Peru safe and sound, yet this is only one of my five flights to get back to Seattle.

I awoke this morning at 4 am in order to make it to the airport by 5 am to catch my 7 am flight out of Montevideo. Mari and I went out last night for dinner and drinks with Patricia and Nicolas, and didn't make it to bed until about 1 am. Thankfully, the 3 hours of sleep was adequate enough.

Ruy and Mari took me to the airport and waited around while I checked in, then we said our good byes and I entered into the departures area and headed to my gate. I had another 40 minutes or so to kill, and I sat thinking about general stuff.

One major thought is that I am currently reading the Spanish version of Alive, called Viven! As you may recall, there was a movie a few years back that illustrates the story of when the Uruguayan Rugby team crash in the Andes on their way to Chile. My flight was headed here to Peru, but I know the Andes are there as well. I started wondering how I would hold up if this little A319 120 person plane went down in the artic weather of the Andes Mountains. I have a coat with me, but no major winter coat. I have one packet of cookies in my bag for a snack, and not too much else - a camera, a broken ipod, some gifts when I return home.

Then, I started sizing up the other passengers. Who would I choose to eat if it came down to it? And what cut is the best on the human body? And was I the only one thinking this thought, or were others looking at me like I might be dinner?

Luckily, I was tired enough on the 4 hour flight that I slept through at least half of it, but I still awoke to the shaking turmoil of turbulence that this little plane was subjected to up in the sky. And with every shake and altitude drop I could imagine the mountain peaks just below.

But, all for not, I arrived safe and sound and now sit with an americano in front of this computer telling my tale. Its 11.05 am, and my next flight doesnt leave until 2.15 pm.

My itinerary



  • Leave Montevideo 6.53 am

  • Arrive Lima Peru 10.05 am

.



  • Leave Lima 2.15 pm

  • Arrive San Jose Costa Rica 4.53 pm

.



  • Leave Costa Rica 5.35 pm

  • Arrive Guatemala City Guatemala 7.15 pm

.



  • Leave Guatemala City 8.00 pm

  • Arrive Los Angeles California 12.00 am

.



  • Leave Los Angeles 8.20 am

  • Arrive Seattle Washington 11.00 am

No comments:

Post a Comment