Tuesday, March 15, 2011

New Art

This past sunday Ruy, Lucy, Mari and I visited the Tristan Nervaja feria. It is hosted every sunday in the Tristan Nervaja neighborhood. It is quite large, spanning 7 or 8 blocks in both length and width, perhaps more. I am unsure, we walked a lot of it and still missed quite a bit of it as well.

The feria has a bit of everything, pets, books, fruits and veggies, clothes, pirated movies, music and software, antiques, junk, tools and much much more. It was quite incredible to see the amount of stuff thats set up in the street for sale.

I found this beautiful object among the brick a brack, and fell in love. As you may know, I am an art lover. This jewel stood out like a diamond in the rough and I knew I had to have it.

As you can see, it is a hand carved face on a natural block of wood, spanning roughly 8 or 9 inches in diameter. The face is of José Batlle y Ordóñez - an old Uruguayan President.

I love the deep, dark honey color glow of the wood.

I love the relief work of the face and the suit, all set on the thick natural block of wood.

And I love the fact that this only cost me 180 Uruguayan pesos.
$1 USD = 20 Uruguayan pesos.
Thus this wonderfully hand carved antique piece of art cost me a whopping $9 USD.
This feria is the place to be to find great deals on miscelaneous objects. If I had a home here, this is where I would furnish it with furniture, windows, knick knacks and more. It is a wonderful street fair and I can tell where I will be every sunday for the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment