Thursday, January 27, 2011

27 de Enero 2011

San Juan del Sur

Not much to do here but enjoy the sun and the beach and possibly a good book. Prices are kinda high (relatively of course) compared to other locations in Nicaragua, thus Mari and I have been eating food in the comedores inside the mercado, as the restaurants that cater to foreigners have hiked prices a bit. The mercado serves local food, grilled chicken with rice, beans, a small salad and a tortilla. A plate full of food for 50 cordobas, which is just over $2 USD.

This is a big surfing town. There are surf shops, and surf board repairs, signs for surf lessons and surf hostels and hotels. Seems like this might be the place to be if you like dreadlocks and surfing. As we do not surf, or have dreadlocks, it seems we will be moving on possibly tomorrow. Either headed into Costa Rica, or heading south down the coast to make one last beach stop before exiting Nicaragua.

I think I am tanner now than possibly ever before. When I take a shower and look down at my tan lines, its shocking. My butt is white white white, while the rest of me shades to darker at the extremities. Amazingly, my arms actually got burned the other day when we rented the motorcycle on Ometepe. I was amazed as my arms are the darkest part of my entire body, yet they are still able to succumb to the intense sun rays in this area. Reminding me to be careful when removing my shirt at the beach.

I dont know if anyone pays attention to my book list on the side of the blog, but right now I am reading Eat Pray Love. And its quite amazing. I have never read Elizabeth Gilbert before, and I am quite certain this must be an Oprah book. Mariana laughed that I was reading a girl book. But I must say, I am really enjoying her journey within the pages, searching for pleasure and discovery. Its broken into thirds. The first part is her trip to Italy which I thoroughly enjoyed. Especially contrasting her thoughts on love, life and marriage while traveling in a foreign land learning another language. Very insightful. The 2nd part is a spiritual journey that is interesting, but does not click with me on a deeper lever. Currently I am on the last third of the book, a trip she takes to Indonesia staying with a local medicine man. Quite interesting.

I have been lucky with the book exchanges. And I personally believe that all the books I have read are great picks. Yet yesterday, I found a true gem. Eduardo Galeano's "Open Veins of Latin America." This is the book to read on this trip. Eduardo Galeano is from Uruguay, and is Mari's hero in many ways. This is the book that Hugo Chavez gave Obama at the 5th Summit of the Americas, immediately jumping from the 54,295th most popular book on Amazon to #2 on the list the day after. Mari has been dying for me to read some of his books and it looks like the time is now.





Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment