Sunday, January 9, 2011

09 de Enero 2011

I was chatting with my mom last night and she was telling me she loves the blog, but misses the pictures that should accompany the posts. I highly agree, but for example right now, I am posting from Mari's I-touch. Although there are computers at some of the places we stay, it's more typical that the hostels and hotels have Wi-fi and not communal computers for guest use. Thus, it's impossible for me to add photos with the post.

Even when I have a computer, it's still difficult cause my camera takes wall size photos, much much much too large for the blog. Thus it's a thirty minute endeavor to pick and sort photos, upload them, resize them, then link them to the blog. If it were easier, I would add way more. So please excuse the photo absences when they occur.

This morning Mari and I visited the Copan ruins. I am glad we went. Sometimes I get the feeling from others that all ruins look alike, and that that after you've seen a few they are not all worth the visit. But today I found the Copan ruins just interesting as the rest. I have found that the five we have visited (Monte Alban, Pelenque, Chichen Itza, Tikal, Copan) have all differed and have been interesting in their own unique way. The Copan ruins are renown for having the best sculpture of all the ancient cities - and I can see why. The stellas are impressive free standing sculptures that show great skill. The temples are not huge, but in it's hey day it is suggested the city had as many as 20,000 inhabitants. One thing I thought was great about today's ruins is that at some points along the way they have artist interpretations of what the city may have looked like in it prime. And it looked mighty. Much different than the crumbling mess of modern times.

Anyway, after the tour Mari and I returned to the Hotel Marjenny, packed our things, grabbed a quick lunch of fresh bananas and chicken empanadas, and then caught a bus outta town. We took a local shuttle from Copan to La Entrada, then transferred to a bus headed south to Santa Rosa de Copan. The trip took us about three hours and we traveled with the locals, which usually means packing 40 people into a 20 passenger shuttle van. It's an interesting thing taking the local buses in Central America. Remembering back to the bus trip we took from Antigua to San Pedro (actually a bus to Panajachel, then a boat to San Pedro) but anyways, that bus ride was something. At one point someone took note that we had twelve people in 3 two person seats. If there's an edge, Enoch space for a quarter cheek, or even a half cheek, someone will squish you over and sit, sometimes even when there are free seats near the back. Space requirements are thrown out the window for a mother of two who squeezes in with her baby and small child. It's hilarious and interesting at the same time.

Tomorrow I believe we will head a little south (47 Km) to a little town named Gracias. It sounds interesting as a small mountain town.

It's Sunday evening here in Santa Rosa, and most stores are closed. We are going to make soup for dinner, but ran out for a quick snack of pastelito de harina, pastelitos de maize, and one chalupa. They were all absolutely delicious and cost less than $3. The prepared street food here in Honduras is the cheapest we have found along our journey. Fantastically delicious and cost effective.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment