Friday, April 29, 2011

Buenos Aires Argentina

Mari and I just returned from spending a few days in Buenos Aires Argentina. Buenos Aires is fairly close to Montevideo, located on the western side of the Rio de la Plata , the river that seperates Uruguay and Argentina. We tagged along with Mari´s friend Meli whose family owns a store here in Montevideo named Muaa. Every month or two she heads over to Buenos Aires to pick out the upcoming season of clothing they´ll be selling in the store. Mari and I had no hesitation in tagging along when she asked if we´d like to come.

We left Montevideo on the morning of the 26th, catching a 2 hour bus headed west to Colonia del Sacremento. In Colonia del Sacremento we would be crossing the Rio de la Plata on a ferry, yet we were slightly afraid that I might need a Visa to cross over into Argentina, as they have adopted a reciprical fee process for United States citizens. This means, they have implemented a $140 visa fee for US citizens to reflect that we charge the same fee for incoming Argentinians when they want to enter the US. Its fair, but I wasnt too excited about paying it. We had read that it went into affect in the beginning of this year, but couldnt find any hard facts. We checked the websites of both the US embassy and the Argentina embassy here, but couldnt get any hard information. Looking online, there is a lot of speculation and statements, but none I could verify or reasonably assume were correct. Next, we visited the Argentinian embassy here and were quickly told that we didnt need to pre-apply for the visa, that you pay it upon entering the country. Thus, we crossed our fingers and headed for the boat. To our luck and amazement, I did not need a Visa to enter into Argentina. From what I have read, I think it only applies to citizens flying into the major airports and has not spread to land border crossings. Thus to clarify for anyone else searching the web for whether or not there is a Visa fee when entering Argentina - if you are entering from Montevideo by taking the Buquebus, there is no Visa fee. Although, my ticket was slightly more than my girlfriends as I was a foreigner, but the fee was only around $20 and was part of my Buquebus ticket fee, not an additional fee paid to the border crossing guards.

Buenos Aires was beautiful. We stayed right downtown next to the Obelisk, surrounded by towering buildings and blinking lights. The weather was gorgeous, warm and blue skies every day. The girls liked to shop, but we also managed to visit the Nacional Art Museum - Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes -, as well as walking around other neighborhoods such as Palermo Soho and San Telmo. While in Palermo Soho we ate at a Parrilla restaurant named La Cabrera on a recommendation from Meli. Since I dont eat much meat, I had a wonderful Tortilla. It was delicious, and I heard from the girls that the meats were spectacular. We also ate great pasta and pizza in and around town.

We stayed 3 days and 2 nights, and I have to admit that I love that city. Mari and I visited for a week or so 2 years ago, but it didnt strike me then like it did this time. It could be that I am more accustomed to the look and feel of South American cities than I was before, or I perhaps I just really miss the grit and feel of a major downtown intersection. MOst likely its a mixture of both. But I now have a little fantasies running through my head of living in Buenos Aires some day.

Meli was spectacular. She is a really great person, and I can see why Mariana loves her so much. She is an incredibly giving and caring person. She is fun, funny, easy going, and quite lovable. Mari and her have been friends since basically forever, and they look and act like life long friends, laughing and joking and talking endlessly. I want to thank Meli for inviting me to Bs. As. and showing me such a good time.

I drank a lot of Quilmes while I was there, once again rated with a low C grade on the beer advocate. I dont know what the deal is with the beers in Central and South America, but they really love that light golden pale beer. But, I have to admit I did have a wonderful Quilmes Bock, dark and brown and delicious. I also bought a bottle of whisky Anejo named Breeders Choice. Delicious and tasty, and makes a perfect whiskola (Whisky + Cola).

1 comment:

  1. If I had to make one recommendation for somebody who is in BA I would say: Be a barfly for a night. Buenos Aires offers many bars, which natives and tourists alike frequent. Palermo Viejo is a popular choice. As with any late-night adventure, use common sense. And also, donpt go to a hotel, they are very expensive! Get a furnished apartments in buenos aires which are super affordable and forget about timetables!
    Those are my advices for you!
    good luck,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete