Tuesday, November 16, 2010

16 de Noviembre 2010

Finally! Once again I have found readily available internet for use at my disposal. Mari and I just arrived into the city of Campeche after catching an 8:00 am bus out of Palenque for a 6 hour bus trip through the beautiful and vibrantly green Mexican landscape.


We booked into a beautifully located yet slightly delapidated place named Monkey Hostel, located right downtown near the waterfront in the city of Campeche. We took the morning bus with the Germans Tobi and Claudia and are staying in a dorm room that sleeps four for 100 pesos each per night. Unfortunately, we had to leave the two English/Russian girls behind in Palenque as they are headed to Merida either tonight or tomorrow on the night bus. For those of you who dont know, the night bus is a great way to travel when crossing distances great than 7 or 8 hours. The night bus allows one to avoid spending money on a nights accomodations while simultaneously sweeping you away to a new location, thereby killing two birds with one stone.

We arrived this afternoon with bags full of dirty laundry, in desperate need of a warm shower and craving some cheap good food. Upon arrival we hand washed all the clothes that we werent personally wearing and hung them out to dry in the hot sun, took showers, and headed out for food.

I had chicken tamales. The tamales here are delicious and I never pass up the chance to eat ´em. They came with some delicious red salsa atop, but I also slathered my entire plate with the hot green salsa sitting on the table. My mouth was on fire, but it was absolutely delicious. Mariana ate chicken milanesa with french fries and a salad. She wasnt very impressed. This meal marked our most expensive meal to date, racking up to an all time high of 160 pesos ($13.80). But starving from the long bus ride with no food, we dove into the first spot that looked habitable. We bought a single 12 oz beer that cost us 28 pesos ($2.40), much higher than the typical 15 - 20 pesos we have payed in the past. Guess we can chalk it up to a warm welcome back to the city I suppose.

As we were out in the boondocks the last couple days with limited to no internet services, I will post a back log of our adventures soon.

As I sit in the hostel writing this, my view out the open veranda window is this cathedral lit up spectacularly for the night. Unfortunately I couldnt locate a picture of my exact view, and I still cannot transfer photos from my camera... so this found picture off the net will have to do for now. Its an incredibly warm beautiful night here with this magnificent view.




No comments:

Post a Comment